The office of the Register of Deeds maintains records relating to separation from the armed forces. These documents are recorded without a fee and certified copies are provided without charge to authorized persons.
These documents have restricted access
under N.C.G.S. 47-113.2. Both the record and the index to the records are kept in a separate set of books and access is provided only to the following:
- Subject of record, must have a picture ID that has not expired
- Agents and representatives of the subject authorized in writing by one of the following:
- The subject
- The subject's widow or widower in a notarized authorization
- A court to represent the subject
- The subject's executor acting on behalf of a deceased subject
Anyone other than those that meet the above qualifications may contact the Cumberland County Veterans Affairs at 416 Chicago Drive, Fayetteville, N.C. (910) 486-1551.
- Authorized agents of the Division of Veterans Affairs, the United States
- Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Department of Defense
- An authorized court official with an interest in assisting the subject or the deceased subject's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit
- The North Carolina State Archives